Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I was the happiest man alive!

I first noticed Emily at Southland Christian Church's Day of Service in June 2003. We were at the same site clearing brush. I recall being taken back by her beauty, but more importantly, her desire to serve.

At the time, I was in one of those started-dating-in-high-school, on-again-off-again relationships. The relationship finally came to an end in April 2004. I found myself sitting through a service one Sunday night. The pastor mentioned his prayer that men would search for a woman like that in Proverbs 31 and that women would strive to be like that in Proverbs 31.

Never having read Proverbs 31, I did so immediately. I was amazed. It was exactly what I had longed for and more importantly, what God longed for me. Now knowing what I wanted and having just ended a long-term relationship, I told God I was willing to wait...a year...five years...ten years. It didn't matter. I knew what I wanted and I was willing to wait. In the meantime, I prayed for her.

Shortly thereafter, I found myself in the same circles as Emily. I hadn't seen her since the day of service. Having remembered what went through my mind that day, I took an interest. She was quiet, didn't talk to "boys" and hadn't dated anyone for a NUMBER of years (the same number of years I had been in a relationship as a matter of fact). She believed God would bring "Mr. Right" into her life, so why fool around? Her family always felt if she was going to go (i.e. get married), she would go quickly -- and she did!


It didn't take long for me to realize she was "the one". There was only one problem -- she was "rooted" in Lexington (i.e. had started her career, her family was in town, etc.) and I was moving to Atlanta. I wrestled with whether or not I should tell her how I felt. I didn't want to say "Hey, by the way, I REALLY like you." and then move several hundred miles away. But at the same time, I didn't want to move without tell her how I felt out of fear of "what could have been".

So I took a chance. I put myself out there and let her know how I felt. I believe we were in the cookbook section of Joseph-Beth. I think I said something profound like, "I have something to tell you. I REALLY like you." As you can imagine, she was shocked. We "stepped outside" to discuss the "bombshell". Than God the feelings were mutual!


Knowing I was moving to Atlanta, we didn't want to waste ANY time. My parents had taken off the week I was moving, so we decided to get married that Thursday night. I actually moved everything to Atlanta, got the apartment ready, and drove back the day of our wedding!

It was an intimate affair -- 15 people in all. It was somewhat of a whirlwind, but I'll never forget how badly my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. I was the happiest man alive!


Our "reception" was at the Merrick Inn. They had a room that fit us perfectly. After the dinner, Emily and I drove off to the Cumberland Inn. Our drive to Atlanta was one of the most memorable moments as well. I'll never forget Em sitting with her back against the passenger door, her feet on my lap, smile on her face, sun shinning, country music blaring and the two of us looking forward to starting our lives together.

If I had to do it all over again, I would -- and I wouldn't change a thing! I'd take a wedding on a Thursday night and a honeymoon in Atlanta any day of the week.

I love you sweetheart.

Happy 5-Year Anniversary!

2 comments:

Denny said...

Well put, Mike!!! I'm glad that God has put you two together and that our paths have crossed. Happy Anniversary!!!

jennifer said...

Yall are so sweet, Happy Anniversary!!!!!