I was listening to Mark Driscoll's Pray like Jesus: the Lord's Prayer on my way to work yesterday. I'm sure you're familiar with the prayer - "Our Father in heaven..." Mark pointed out that "Jesus addressed God simply as 'Father', and taught his followers to do the same." He went on to say that "understanding that God is Dad is primary to prayer" and "if we understand God is Dad, then we will naturally speak to him anytime about anything because we know we are loved, cared for and safe with him."
When I got home, I took Maddie upstairs with me as I normally do. As soon as we walked into the bedroom, she pointed to a picture of Emily and me as if she DESPERATELY needed it. I grabbed the picture and brought it closer. She pointed to me and said "dada". It was the first time I've heard her say it without being prompted to do so!
Whether or not this was a coincidence, I was reminded that my relationship with Maddie has been ordained by God and it's my responsibility as a father - and a husband - to reflect the image of God.
To add a little humor, I asked Maddie to give me a kiss (in the picture) and she did. I then asked her to give me a kiss (in real life) and she ferociously shook her head NO!
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Michael, she obviously thinks you look better in pictures!
I think you're right; but I get a kick out of how EVERYBODY is dada! It's really funny when Emily is around. I point at me - dada! I point at Emily - dada!
Post a Comment