Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why I'm NOT a Bengals Fan

Yes, I was born in Cincinnati.  And no, I'm not a Bengals fan.

How did we break up?

In 1989, the Bengals lost to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII.  The 49ers won with 34 seconds left, leaving an eight-year-old completely devastated.  Since then, they've gone something like 110-193-1.

Every Sunday during that stellar stretch, I remember asking my dad if the Bengals were on.  "No, Mike.  They're blacked out again."  It eventually became a joke.

Needless to say, I lost interest in the Bengals and professional football all together.



How did I become a Steelers fan?

Emily is from Washington, PA, which is just outside of Pittsburgh.  She comes from a family of Steelers fans.  The year we got married was Big Ben's rookie year.  While they didn't go to the Super Bowl, they had a MUCH more exciting year than the Bengals.  Not having an allegiance to any professional team, it was a natural fit.

Since then, I've experienced a game a Heinz Field, celebrated two Super Bowl championships and have welcomed two little Steelers into the family.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

1 comment:

Denny said...

Hey man, nice jersey and all but your hair is definitely not long enough to be wearing that number!!!