Have you ever read something and thought, "They're talking about me!" That's exactly what I thought when I read this from
TrueFaced:
"As we're walking down life's road, we arrive at a tall pole with signs pointing in two different directions. The marker leading to the left simply says Pleasing God. The one leading to the right reads Trusting God. It's hard to choose one over the other, because both roads have a good feel to them."
On the path marked Pleasing God, "I come to a door that reads Striving to Be All God Wants Me to Be. These words reflect the values that flow out of the motive of Pleasing God, and they describe how we believe we should act. Since my motive is a determination to please God, I will value being all God wants me to be. So, I open the door by turning the knob of Effort. The motive of pleasing God has now produced the value of Striving to Be All God Wants Me to Be. As I enter this enormous room, a hostess with a beautiful smile greets me and says in an almost too polite tone, 'Welcome to The Room of Good Intentions.'"
"The stifling atmosphere in the room...make[s] it hard for me to breath. I am so tired of pretending and keeping up appearances. As I search for the door, someone walks up to me and, looking over his shoulder, whispers, 'Hey, umm, I'm going to check out that other path back at the crossroads. For the past several years, I've given this room everything I've got and something's not working for me. You look tired too. You want to go retrace our steps and head out for the Trusting God trail?'"
On the path marked Trusting God, I come to a door that reads Living Out of Who God Says I Am. "I tilt my head to the side, thinking the phrase might make more sense if I do. Those are certainly some words, one right after another. What in the world to they mean? It can't mean what I think it means! When do I get to do something here? Where's the part where I get to prove my sincerity? Where are my guidelines? When do I get to give God my best? I shake my head and stoop down to read what it says on the doorknob...Humility."
"As I step inside, another hostess immediately approaches. She smiles kindly and, with a voice that is at once knowing and reassuring, says softly, 'Welcome to The Room of Grace.'"
"We will never please God through our efforts to become godly. Rather, we will only please God -- and become godly -- when we trust God."
No comments:
Post a Comment