Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It has a name...

I took our community group to another level last night by sharing my desire to change my hairstyle. I can't help it. I go to North Point.

What's the new style? I don't know. Maybe something longer, which brought up this:


That, my friends, had me puzzled for years. I first saw it in college. There were two frat boys in my class with it. I never wondered what it was until I moved to Atlanta. It was all over! Was it a Southern thing? Or, were these guys just hiding something...

It took me nearly three years to muster up the courage to ask someone what it was. I was at the Tour Championship with my friend Jimmy. He's from Atlanta, went to Villanova...and didn't have it.

After noticing it all around me, I turned to Jimmy and said, "Jimmy, you see those guys back there with Vineyard Vines shirts and seersucker pants?"

Jimmy: "Yeah."

Me: "What kind of hairstyle is that?"

Jimmy: "Oh, you mean the SEC Sweep?"

Me: "The SEC what?"

Jimmy: "Sweep. The SEC Sweep."

Me: "You mean it has a name?"

Jimmy: "Oh yeah."

So THAT, my friends, is the SEC Sweep. It has a name. And, it's coming to a town near you (if it hasn't already).

5 comments:

Christie Stump said...

hahaha, we call that style "bama bangs" since it seems to be exceedingly popular among Alabama frat boys! Too funny!

jennifer said...

HAHA!!!!! I love it!!! Are you going blonde too? Remember, you can always borrow josh's straightener....

The Mauntel's said...

Christie -- I hate to reveal his identity, but it happens to be John Parker Wilson from...ALABAMA!

Christie Stump said...

I just knew it! :) That hairstyle is a dead giveaway for home state :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, thanks for commenting on my SCL post. It's always great to make new acquaintances. I've always had a hard time changing my hair or even letting other people cut it. (Though it's curly and covers up most mistakes.)

Hope to see you around again. God bless and happy blogging!